Pages

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Sew a Mrdanga Cover

Don't ask me how I did this. I even made two of them.
There are books available that describe how to make patterns from finished clothing and the instructions can be easily applied here. I used one author's tip to place the separate parts of an already made mrdanga cover on top of a large piece of paper on top of a large piece of cardboard, section by section, and punch holes with pins along their edges. 

Remove the ready made cover and next connect with a magic marker the remaining dotted pin marks that you just formed on the paper(The purpose of cardboard underneath is simply to have protected any surface below while you did this). 

Next cut out the pattern that was drawn connecting the pin marks. 

Next, make sure it is symmetrical by folding the pattern in half. Redraw onto another piece of paper until it is uniform. I used large pieces of drafting paper. Then add to this at least a half inch border for the seam allowance. Then cut out your pattern on the cloth you'll be using.

Phew! I hope that made sense. I also machine embroidered some on the borders with another colored thread, but it is too fine to see in the photo.